Therapy to Relieve Depression, Anxiety, Stress and Relationship Problems
- Are you struggling with anxiety, depression, stress or worry?
- Is anger uncomfortable (your own or other's)?
- Are you turning to food, wine, TV, shopping or the internet for distraction or comfort?
- Are you fighting or walking on eggshells with your spouse, a family member, friend or someone at work?
- Is it easier to believe criticism than receive compliments?
- Do you feel like you have to pay a price for love or friendship?
- Did you grow up in a home where there was addiction, narcissism, disapproval, or a lack of understanding or compassion?
Depression, anxiety, worry, relationship problems and compulsive behaviors are often a response to unmet needs in childhood
The way we were treated in childhood becomes a model for how we treat ourselves and how we expect to be treated by others.
- If you grew up with a difficult, narcissistic or critical parent, you may find yourself magnifying every flaw and overlooking your strengths.
- If you grew up with abuse, anger or addiction, you may find yourself in relationships, friendships or work settings where you walk on eggshells or where your needs always come second (or last).
- If you were never soothed or helped to feel secure, you may turn to food, substances, or mind-numbing activities to check-out and avoid painful feelings.
You may feel depressed and stuck, or anxious and worried, caught in repetitive thoughts that keep you revved up, but not getting anywhere.
Relief is at Hand
Your pain, sadness and fear are here to help you understand what went missing or wrong when you were little. When you sit with someone who feels safe, non-judgmental, and caring, it's easier to listen to the important messages your feelings are trying to send you.
I LOVE helping my clients feel their way back into the normal and perfectly acceptable needs and emotions they had to suppress in order to be safe as kids. When those feelings and needs come back online, they act as a guide to finding friendships and relationships based on mutuality, where you are valued, where you can thrive.
How I Work
My style is interactive and warm. I am real and speak plain English, not "therapese." I use well researched, effective methods including Cognitive-Behavioral therapy, Somatic Therapy (helping you feel your physical and emotional responses inside your body), and Attachment Based Counseling (helping you give yourself the security your family might not have been able to give). I am also trained in Hypnotherapy
to help you safely process any trauma or abuse if needed. I have a lot of tools to offer so that we can customize therapy to your needs, and work as efficiently and effectively as possible.
Please explore my specialties
to learn more about how I can help. You can also visit my blog on emotional eating.
Or you can listen to my emotional eating podcasts here.
And you'll find several articles
on this site that may be helpful. For warm, friendly and often funny reminders about good self-care, you can also follow me on Facebook
My office is in Pleasant Hill, CA, close to highways 680 and 24. I'm a short drive from Walnut Creek, Lafayette, Concord, Martinez, Alamo, and Benicia.
Get Directions from:
Walnut Creek and points South (Alamo, San Ramon, Danville)
Concord and Clayton
Benicia and points North
Lafayette and points West (Orinda, Moraga)
Appointments are also available via phone for people who live out of the area or have difficulty making an office visit.
I work Monday through Wednesday and every other Thursday. I am happy to schedule sessions as short as 45 minutes and as long as 90 minutes. I offer sessions weekly or every-other week in the beginning of therapy, and monthly for clients who want to taper off gradually. To see my current availability, click here.
Payment and Insurance
I accept all major credit cards as well as checks and cash. I don't accept direct payment from insurance, but can provide a monthly statement for clients with PPOs so they can be reimbursed for services. Click here
for my current fee schedule.
Find out if therapy can help. Call for a free 30-minute consultation: (925)335-6441
or begin the scheduling process online by clicking here: Schedule Consultation
. I generally respond to inquiries within 2 business days.